WHAT IS MRIA?
WHO WE ARE
The Marketing Research and Intelligence Association (MRIA) is a Canadian not-for-profit association representing all aspects of the market intelligence and survey research industry, including social research, competitive intelligence, data mining, insight, and knowledge management. Members include over 1,800 practitioners, small to large research houses, and the many buyers of research services, such as financial institutions, major retailers, insurance companies and manufacturers. The industry accounts for almost three quarters of a billion dollars in market research activities annually.
The MRIA was founded on November 21, 2004, after the membership of the three Canadian associations representing the industry voted overwhelmingly in favour of merging. The newly-created body, which began operations on January 1, 2005, presents a unified voice for the industry; pulling together all of the products and services formerly offered to the public and the respective members of the now dissolved Canadian Association of Market Research Organizations (CAMRO), the Canadian Survey Research Council (CSRC) and the Professional Marketing Research Society (PMRS).
MRIA's mission is to promote a positive environment that enhances the industry's ability to conduct affairs effectively and to the benefit of the public and members. The MRIA achieves this mission through:
- the development and delivery of world-class professional standards;
- the promotion of the industry as a forum for Canadians to provide their attitudes and opinions into the decisions that affect them;
- the advocacy of public policy that balances the need for research services and privacy and consumer rights;
- the continuous advancement of industry practices through education and accreditation; and
- the on-going development and delivery of value added products and services to members.
Success in achieving this mission is measured by the quality of the relationship that our industry enjoys with Canadians. It is for this reason that privacy and consumer rights are core drivers for the continued professional development and education we insist on for our individual members, the high quality standards we demand from our corporate members, and the strict measures we maintain as leaders in corporate responsibility.
OUR PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
The MRIA designs and delivers a wide array of products and services for its members, all of which serve to benefit the general public whom we deal with on a daily basis:
- Certified Marketing Research Professional (CMRP) Designation. A standard for professionalism within the industry, second-to-none in the world.
- In-Class Learning. A full slate of courses offered to members, including the fundamentals, advanced techniques and more specialized topics such as competitive intelligence, brand equity, web site usability, data mining and focus group moderation.
- Advocacy and Lobbying. The voice for those that provide, use and benefit from marketing research and intelligence services.
- Accreditation/Gold Seal Audit. Strict rules of professional conduct and ethical practice that member companies must comply with.
- Research Registration System. A toll-free number that allows the public to verify the legitimacy of a survey and to register a complaint against a member company.
- Ethical and Practice Standards. A set of rigorous principles that shape the relationships with clients and members of the public.
- Industry Surveys and Reports. A measurement of the attitudes and opinions of the public towards the industry as a way to identify areas for improvement or enhancement.
- International Representation. The promotion of the industry's efforts and high standards and the sharing of best practices with the international research community.
- Career Support Services. On-going assistance in the application of industry standards and best practices.
- Chapters throughout Canada. Regional representation and the promotion of standards and continued education at the local level.
- Annual Conferences and Trade Shows. An opportunity for sharing best practices, promoting advancements in the industry and networking.
Opt-In to Communications
If you would like to opt-in to receive MRIA communications, please click here and fill in the form.